Specific questions that’ll help you get the actionable feedback you’re looking for.
Most of us run some sort of employee survey in our company… But how often is it that we learn something surprising from them? Or how about something actionable? Our research has shown you will get more honest, actionable feedback when you ask specific questions rather than general questions like, “How’s it going?” which is unlikely to yield any meaningful insight.
After all, the more honest and actionable feedback you receive, the better decisions you’ll make. If you can unlock how employees feel about the work they’re doing and the company as a whole — you can figure out what projects to put them on, where you need to focus your attention, as a leader, and how you can improve your team’s overall performance.
To help you ask the right questions in your next employee survey — ones that will elicit meaningful feedback — we pulled 19 of our most popular Know Your Team questions, so you can use them in your next employee survey. Enjoy!
Our 19 recommended employee survey questions
- Have you seen something recently and thought, “I wish we had done that?”
- Do you think the company is the right size?
- Are there are any rumors you’re hearing about the company or about employees that you think I should know?
- Is there something we should measure in our company that we’re not?
- Is there something we should start doing as a team?
- Is there any part of the company you wish you could interact with more?
- Are there any benefits we don’t offer that you’d like to see us offer?
- Have you seen someone do great work that goes unnoticed?
- Have you ever been afraid to share an idea because you thought it would get shot down?
- Do you feel you’re spread too thin right now?
- Would you like more or less direction from your manager?
- Do you get enough feedback on your work? If that answer is no, what additional feedback would you like?
- Is there something you want more help and/or coaching on?
- Do you generally think management makes it clear why we’re doing what we’re doing?
- Is there an area outside of your role where you feel like you’re contributing?
- Do you feel connected to the company’s success or failure?
- Do you feel like customers directly benefited from the work you did this week?
- Have you met the last person we hired?
- Is there any red tape you’d like to cut at the company?